Minimal install diff from F16 to F19 (TC6)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 24 12:40:22 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 01:41:16PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > So, the converse is that as actual workloads move to VMs (let alone
> > cloud), the host systems become a special case, and the "normal" case
> > for a server tends to become much more simple: either a single interface
> > probably with fixed-address DHCP, or in most complicated cases several
> > interfaces on specific networks known by convention.
> That's a big assumption, just because the hypervisor is more complex does
> not mean vms get simpler (this is the same faulty reasoning that vmware
> made a few years past when it told everyone that esxi would replace bioses
> and systems would be reduced to their simplest expression — read give us
> your money, not to Microsoft or Red Hat). In fact I am quite certain vm
> complexity is a direct factor of management tools maturity, and people
> will continue to deploy the most complex configurations they can, as long
> as the tools let them. No one wants to delegate anything when the problem
> can be solved without delegation.

I'm not sure it's the "same reasoning" because I have no idea how what I
said relates to replacing the BIOS wiith ESXi, but it's certainly the case
that VMware has been hugely successful. And part of that success is because
addressing the _problem_ of increased complexity on the individual servers.
The situation I described above is a feature, not a side-effect.