Minimal install diff from F16 to F19 (TC6)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jun 24 14:05:35 UTC 2013

Le Lun 24 juin 2013 14:40, Matthew Miller a écrit :

> I'm not sure it's the "same reasoning" because I have no idea how what I
> said relates to replacing the BIOS wiith ESXi, but it's certainly the case
> that VMware has been hugely successful. And part of that success is
> because
> addressing the _problem_ of increased complexity on the individual
> servers.
> The situation I described above is a feature, not a side-effect.

It's a feature for the cloud infra provider. It's an antifeature for
everyone else. There is value in providing more features infra-side. There
is no value in restricting functionnalities vm-side to favor the infra.
The 'everything is a dumb system' vm view is nice on slideware but it does
not describe reality (let alone because some complex network scenarii are
the result of app needs, and there is zero value in shorting the system
layer to make apps talk to the hypervisor directly. If only because the
system layer is also an access control layer).

--
Nicolas Mailhot