_hardened_build not affecting libtool-compiled libraries

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jun 24 19:46:51 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 09:13:29PM +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> > but the plugins from that build are not hardened fully:
> Isn't it possible that the plugins are just so trivial that there were
> no opportunities for hardening?
>
> >   $ hardening-check ./usr/lib64/nbdkit/plugins/nbdkit-example1-plugin.so
> >   ./usr/lib64/nbdkit/plugins/nbdkit-example1-plugin.so:
> >    Position Independent Executable: no, regular shared library (ignored)
> >    Stack protected: no, not found!
> No on-stack arrays that I can find.
>
> >    Fortify Source functions: no, only unprotected functions found!
> I can see libc calls with compile-time-known destination sizes except
> for example1_load () where it can be statically proven the call is
> safe.

Yes, I think you're right.  I only checked the simple example*
plugins.  The xz plugin which is rather more complicated does seem to
be protected:

$ hardening-check ./usr/lib64/nbdkit/plugins/nbdkit-xz-plugin.so
./usr/lib64/nbdkit/plugins/nbdkit-xz-plugin.so:
 Position Independent Executable: no, regular shared library (ignored)
 Stack protected: yes
 Fortify Source functions: yes (some protected functions found)
 Read-only relocations: yes
 Immediate binding: yes

Rich.