Media Sizes SRPMS DVD

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jun 24 23:42:22 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-24 at 16:37 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> >> Do people download / use the SRPM DVDs rather then just download the
> >> ones they are interested in?
>
> > It does seem a tad...vestigial.
>
> If you want to give away copies of the DVD with binaries,
> then under GPL you must offer the source similarly,
> or promise to maintain for 3 years a download site
> with the *CORRESPONDING* source.  Your obligation
> ends three years sooner if you _offer_ the source on DVD
> at the same time as the binary.  As soon as someone
> declines the source DVD, then you're off the hook.

Yes. I know that. But that's a boring legal technicality. We can
perfectly well satisfy that by providing a 600GB image if we want to.
This thread is about the case of someone who for some weird reason
*actually wants to burn the stupid image to an actual form of media*.
What I'm suggesting is that no-one has any good reason to do that any
more.

(Our legal obligations may be discharged simply by the fact we keep the
entire frozen tree, including SRPMs, for each release on the mirror, but
that's an entirely different bikeshed and IANAL).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey