Firefox in Rawhide is out of date

Elio Maldonado Batiz emaldona at redhat.com
Thu Jun 27 18:57:07 UTC 2013

On 06/27/2013 08:12 AM, Kalev Lember wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Definitely not a rpm bug. rpm's version comparison semantics are well
> defined and 4.10.0 is strictly higher than 4.10.
Martin, Kai, and I have discussed itand have proposal consistent with yours.

> I would say one of the 3 things should happen to fix this:
>
>   1) Build the latest nspr release not as version 4.10, but as 4.10.0
>      (As I understand it, it's a manually generated tarball from CVS, so
>       shouldn't be a problem to change the versioning scheme downstream.)
It's easy enough to repakage the nspr-4.10.tar.bz as nspr-4.10.0.tar.bz,
upload that to the it lookaside cache and adjust the version in
nspr.spec to match that. Very minor changes to the spec file

>   2) Build a nspr 4.10 update that changes the version in the .pc file
>      to match the rpm version, so that it's also 4.10
I considered taht and payed with it. Proposal 1) is simpler, at least
for the time being.

>   3) Change the nspr dep in xulrunner so that it's not autogenerated,
>      and just manually specify the minimum nspr version.
Autogenerated is often preferable to manual. Let the tools query the
sources and keep me out as a middle-man that could make mistakes.

> In any case, can you talk to emaldonado (CC-d) and sort this out? We
> should try to keep the core set of package in an installable state, and
> xulrunner / nspr has been broken for a while now in rawhide.

I brought this up with the nss/nspr team upstream. Kai added a good
explanation for them and proposedchanging the naming scheme two use
three numbersalwaysas the long term solution. Until that is accepted and
implemented upstream option (1) is a good temporary solution. I'm
working on testing it right now. I should have it solved by day's end.

-Elio