logrotate(8) and copytruncate as default

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Jun 27 21:28:47 UTC 2013

On Fri, 28.06.13 01:44, P J P (pj.pandit at yahoo.co.in) wrote:

> > From: Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org>
> > Subject: Re: logrotate(8) and copytruncate as default
> > It's worth noting that all of these problems go away with the systemd journal.
>
>   Oh, how does systemd rotate files?

We do synchronous rotation before each write. i.e. the moment we append
to a file we check if the write would cause the disk usage to be out of
limits, and then do the rotation right away.

You can configure how much disk space journald should take up at max,
and how much you want to remain free.

You can also configure a time limit, to enforce that everything older
than a certain time is always cleaned up (though this is really
something for weird data retention policy setups, normal users should
not need it, disk space is a much more useful limiter).

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.