logrotate(8) and copytruncate as default

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jun 29 01:36:13 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 02:42:11AM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> That's why we are so strong on filtering the dataset when you look at
> it. May I recommend watching this video?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4CACB7paLc

I was there at that talk. :)

I think the journal is cool. It does great things. I like having everything
together. But, giving restricted views into the data isn't a really crazy
case. The use case I give may not be as important as it used to be, and it's
certainly covered by having apache just right its own logs.

*But*, there are other situations -- like requiring extra identity assurance
for access to authpriv data -- which are much more important. If we ever
want systemd journal to be the default general logging solution, we need
that.