Package_update_HOWTO

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 11:38:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:15:35 -0700, Brad Bell wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_HOWTO#Build_a_package_for_Rawhide
> and would appreciate any feed back or comments about them.
>
> In the past I have made the mistake of running
>      fedpkg build
> In cases that failed and could have been avoided using scratch builds; see
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_the_Koji_build_system#Scratch_Builds

Why do you consider it a mistake?

If the "fedpkg build" succeeded, you would save yourself the previous
scratch-build. If the "fedpkg build" failed, why would that be a problem?
You could fix the package and resubmit the build (even with the same EVR).

> It now seems to me preferable to do the following before uploading new
> sources:
>       wget  http:///path/to/yournewtarball.tar.gz .
>       rmpbuild -bs <package_name>.spec
>       koji build --scratch rawhide <package_name>.srpm

What does the "preferable" refer to? And what is the wget command used
for? To retrieve source tarballs specified inside a spec file, you can
use "spectool -g NAME.spec". To automate building the src.rpm from
within Fedora package git, you could even use "fedpkg srpm".

Of course, you are free to prepare your update outside the Fedora pkg git
tree. That means, run "fedpkg srpm" (or "git pull ; fedpkg srpm"), copy
the resulting src.rpm to your local rpmbuild tree, update/upgrade/modify
it there, run a Mock build, and finally copy the changed/new files into
the git tree and check them in.

The three-line example you've given above is a very shortened version of a
package upgrade. Typically one would examine the downloaded tarball prior
to using it, and one would prepare and evaluate a local Mock build or a
scratch-build before deciding whether to publish the update via Fedora.

--
Fedora release 18 (Spherical Cow) - Linux 3.7.9-201.fc18.x86_64
loadavg: 0.00 0.04 0.11