best practices for polkit policy files?

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Fri Mar 1 16:27:41 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM, Guy Streeter <streeter at redhat.com> wrote:
> I've searched but have not found any packaging documentation or development
> discussion about policy files for applications.

I don't think there's more than the "Declaring actions" part of
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/polkit/docs/latest/polkit.8.html.

> Should a package just install
> it's .policy files in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions? Is there an rpm macro for
> the location?
Just hard-code the directory name; if the directory name ever changed,
the format of the .policy files would very likely change as well, so
adding a macro wouldn't save any work.

> And what about naming them? Besides ending in .policy and making a sensible
> reference to the package and action, is there a recommendation or requirement?
I can't find official documentation; I'd suggest that using the same
format as most other files do.
   Mirek