Maintainers wanted for packages from 2013-02-27 FESCo Meeting

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Mar 2 09:26:29 UTC 2013

Le vendredi 01 mars 2013 à 00:24 +0000, Sérgio Basto a écrit :
> Hi, I also use clamav as daemon and I use fedora package, recently I
> upgrade the box, that use clamav, to Fedora 17. I had to do a new
> clamd.service based on what exist, so here it
> is /usr/lib/systemd/system/clamd.service :
>
> [Unit]
> Description = clamav server (clamd) daemon
> After = syslog.target nss-lookup.target network.target
> Before= spamassassin.service
>
> [Service]
> Type = simple
> ExecStart = /usr/sbin/clamd -c /etc/clamd.conf --nofork=yes
> Restart = on-failure
> PrivateTmp = true
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target

given that clamav is a security sensitive package ( ie, we feed it with
all kind of crap coming from network ), wouldn't it be interesting to
investigate using :

- PrivateNetwork=yes
afaik, clamav use socket to communicate, so this could help to mitigate
exploit that download from the network, or just a attacker using a
exploit to attack a inside ressource.

- LimitNPROC=1
not sure if clamav is multiprocess when run as daemon, should be checked
too. This would permit to mitigate some exploits, ie, not able to
fork/exec would block "let's spawn a shell bound to port XXX".

- DeviceAllow=   and just allow /dev/null or /dev/zero I guess. the
reasoning are on the page of systemd
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/security.html , in short, if someone
using code injection to attack a device for local privileges escalation
from clamav, this would mitigate some exploit.

- CapabilityBoundingSet=~CAP_SYS_PTRACE , and maybe more stringent
restriction, again, this requires some tests. This one is harder to
setup since we need lots of runtime tests, and since clamav is not
running as root, I am not sure this bring much, when compared to the
work it may requires.

While some of theses are surely already blocked by selinux, some people
unfortunately tend to disable it, so we should think about defence in
depth.

And if that work fine, we can start to apply this idea to others daemons
as well.

--
Michael Scherer