another abrt problem

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Mon Mar 4 12:34:41 UTC 2013

On 03/04/2013 01:28 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
> Jiri Moskovcak wrote:
>
>> On 03/04/2013 01:17 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
>>> Is it possible to use abrt as intended and still be able to get core dumps
>>> from
>>> non-fedora binaries (e.g., my own code)?  Right now, all core dumps are
>>> redirected to abrt.
>>>
>>> We need a way to be able to use gdb to debug core dumps.
>>>
>>> I know we can turn off abrt entirely
>>> /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
>>>
>>> but that's not acceptable!
>>>
>>> We need a way that allows abrt to be used for fedora packages, while at the
>>> same time allowing capturing core dumps to run gdb on for non-fedora
>>> packages.
>>>
>>> If there is a way in the current abrt design, it is not sufficiently
>>> obvious/discoverable.
>>>

>> Hi,
>> I'm pretty sure there is a way to achieve this with the current abrt
>> design, can you please describe how do you imagine this should work?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Jirka
>
> One possibility would be to simply add an dialog to abrt-gui to save the core
> dump to some user-specified location.  It could offer to run gdb, but that's not
> necessary.
>
> I suppose it would also be good to have a non-gui option as well, but I don't
> know what that would be.

You have two options:

1) in /etc/abrt/abrt-action-save-package-data.conf you can change the
option ProcessUnpackaged = no to yes

2) you can just set ulimit -c unlimited and abrt will create the core in
the CWD in format core.<PID> as it is by default without abrt and then
you can pass it to gdb

Regards,
Jirka