Non responsive state for systemd

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Mon Mar 4 16:29:54 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 07:56:51AM -0800, David Highley wrote:
> Twice now we have one Fedora 18 system where systemd seems to get into a
> non responsive state. We are not able to get the status of any service
> and we're not able to do an init 6 to restart the system.

  Did system logs or "dmesg" contain any hints?  When systemd dies, it
prints some explanation.  You may also check if there are any /core.*
files on you filesystem and generate a backtrace.

> Did notice today that a full process list showed a message about abrt
> and something to the effect "nobody cared". We also see a number of
> defunct processes that seem to never clear. So far the only remedy we
> have found is a hard power cycle.

 Something like "irq XX: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option"?
It would point to hardware/driver problem.  Again, you may find more information
in dmesg.

--
Tomasz Torcz               RIP is irrevelant. Spoofing is futile.
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl     Your routes will be aggreggated. -- Alex Yuriev