OK to bump soname for a lesser-used library?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 22:13:34 UTC 2013

Hi

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Josh Stone  wrote:

> If there are any out-of-distro users of our dyninst libraries, I expect
> they are of the more research-oriented type who will appreciate keeping
> up the version.  I suppose any such people should speak up, please, if
> you disagree.
>
> So given that this library's use is pretty well contained, might it be
> OK to go ahead and update in F18?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy

The goal is to provide stability.  If the soname bump is required for
security or critical bug fixes, then yes.  For feature updates, generally
speaking, we should avoid it but if there are compelling advantages and you
are relatively confident that it is a robust change, then you can.

Rahul