RFC: Fedora revamp proposal

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Mar 5 04:37:50 UTC 2013

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 20:35:08 +0100
Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:

...snip...

> >> Finally, the planning process will recognize the existence of these
> >> tiers by classifying each proposed change:
> >>
> >> * Changes to tiers 1 and 2:
> >>     Strong recommendation that new stable APIs have new tests
> >> delivered at approximately the same time, if possible. This
> >> benefits change owners by diminishing the risk of accidental
> >> breakage of the functionality. Existing tests for the
> >> functionality must be updated at the same time as well.
> >>     Waivers may be requested of FESCo.
> >
> > Are you envisioning the package maintainers to have to write these
> > tests if they don't exist upstream?
>
> Yes.

Are these tests that run as part of package build?
Or are we talking something like autoqa tests? Or ?

> My personal opinion:
>
> * For UI and APIs, we want the things included in tier 2 to be
> sufficiently stable/tested, which probably means they should already
> have an upstream test suite; if they don't, and Fedora decides that
> they
> are important, Fedora should contribute an upstream test suite.
>
> * I expect that many "change" owners will find it worth their time to
> write a test - e.g. in the above example of Avahi it's one-time cost
> of writing a fairly simple test that will save manual checking and
> worry for the future.

How is this gating to rawhide going to work?

Or that's yet to be determined?

While I like the idea overall, I think the devil will be in the details
here. :) If we make the tests too strict, we are going to slow things
down, if we make them too manual we push more work on rel-eng, if we
don't make them strict enough, we have what we have today, but with
more red tape.

kevin