[emelfm2] remove vendor tag from desktop file. https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/247

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 09:09:33 UTC 2013

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 08:31:15 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> Hi Rahul,
>
> if you want to help out in the effort to remove the vendor tags, please
> do it *right*.
>
> That means:
>       * use conditionals, so maintainers can continue to use one spec
>         for F19 and other releases. Toshio provided examples at
>         https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Toshio/Devendorize_desktop_files

I've suggested that to him a week ago, albeit in private mail.

>       * Don't rewrite spec files for no reason. There was no reason to
>         break compatibility with older releases such as el5.
>       * Don't use "current guidelines" to justify our changes.
>         Everything you changed were "may" or "should" items, but our
>         guidelines nowhere say that one *must not* have backwards
>         compatibility.

True.

I've pointed at:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Who_is_allowed_to_modify_which_packages

That page mentions things like:

| [...] experienced packagers should limit their changes to other people
| packages to things that are well agreed upon. i.e. don't fix things
| considered somewhat controversial or a matter of style.

| [...] small fixes or adjustments for new or modified packaging guidelines
| can be done directly in Git after being announced some days in advance.

While the desktop vendor prefix removal has been announced in advance,
all the other changes have not been mentioned.

Dropping %fedora or %rhel conditionals, empty lines, unused %doc files and
their comments is rather impolite.

Some of the changes have been applied with good intentions. I understand
that. But they are still controversial. And I've discovered one case
yesterday (not because of a change by Rahul, however) where even Obsoletes
and Provides had been dropped and resulted in a violation of the static
library packaging guidelines.

Btw, I'm surprised that there is not a single "sorry" in the reply to
Christoph's message.

--
Fedora release 19 (Rawhide) - Linux 3.9.0-0.rc0.git15.1.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.17 0.11 0.14