Self Introduction

Benjamin Tissoires benjamin.tissoires at redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 11:07:32 UTC 2013

Hi everybody,

I already started working on Fedora packages, updates and bugs - one of
each :), so I think it's really a good time to present myself to the
community.

Primary, I'm the upstream maintainer of the hid-multitouch kernel
driver. This driver aims at handling any multitouch touchscreen
certified for win 7 and win 8. I'm also involved in many HID kernel stuffs.

As you can see on my email address, I've been recently hired by Red Hat
(last October), and I will first have to deal with input and Fedora. I
already have my account configured, so I'm not seeking for a sponsor.
Peter Hutterer is mentoring me so I should not be able to break anything
in fedora - crossing fingers :)

Also, I'm becoming the upstream maintainer of the evemu project, so I'll
take the co-ownership of this package with Peter too.

My story:

I've been using Linux since my 15. My first distro was a SuSE 5.3. I'm
now 30 minus a few days, and I used many distributions from Gentoo to
Ubuntu, through Fedora and debian. My choice ended on Fedora 4 years
ago. Let's be objective, it's indeed the best distribution.

I was only a user for 11 years as my knowledge were most focused on
Maths and Physics. After I learned serious things (programming), I was
able to start contributing.

So, my first contribution was 4 years ago. It consisted in sending
patches to Peter to support early multitouch devices in Xorg. The design
and the code were awful, but it helped starting the discussions on
multitouch in X. After a year, I had the opportunity to contribute to
the kernel and I never stopped since.

Now, I've been hired by Red Hat and I intend to put in application my
experience as a kernel developer and the GPU stuffs I learned during my
studies to contribute upstream and to enhance fedora.

So I'm glad to be on board!

Cheers,
Benjamin