Python libraries and backwards compat [was Re: What would it take to make Software Collections work in Fedora?]

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Mar 5 16:55:41 UTC 2013

I'll interject my thoughts here (speaking just for myself):

I think software collections are a great thing for us to provide
tooling for and make easy for our users/consumers to use.

That said, I don't think Fedora as a distribution should ever ship any
of them. The tools/framework/etc, great. Actual collections. no.

I guess I am just old, but I am pretty saddened by some of the
development methodology used by some upstreams these days.

The pendulum has been swinging toward "bundle, release super fast,
break things if we feel like it". I can only guess that this is going
to bite people down the road when a widespread security issue hits a
core component that lots of them bundle, or when they realize all their
consumers no longer even use their newer releases (they just bundle the
old ones).

Anyhow, IMHO, Fedora as OS should ship one collection of integrated
packages. We should try and unbundle where we can, and try and make
things work, and try and educate upstreams.

Just my 2 cents.

kevin