RFC: Fedora revamp proposal

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 5 18:39:02 UTC 2013

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 13:28:58 -0500
Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-03-05 at 13:17 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > If the issue was only 'newer is better' then rpm can easily get
> > around it. Hell, so can yum, now.
>
> But koji, createrepo and such can't, right?

createrepo is version agnostic. It cares not at all.

koji can build whatever, too.. I'm not sure how those are related here.

> True, but the biggest problems are things like new versions of colord
> that trip up a selinux-policy denial which then in turn cause
> gnome-settings-daemon to crash which in turn gives you a failure at
> GDM.
>
> None of that involves user data.

gdm does change your user settings when you login, though. For desktop
environment selection (or at least it used to)

> > So - I don't see how adding another layer is really a problem -
> > since the 'infinite versions in every direction' won't help our
> > users losing their configs or worse their data.
> >
> > am I missing something here?
>
> Yes - that we don't need to solve the user data problem for all
> software immediately to support rolling back a Mesa upgrade.

I'm not sure how much software you're actually talking about here that
doesn't end up touching the user somewhere.

-sv