RFC: Fedora revamp proposal

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Mar 5 23:50:45 UTC 2013

> We don't ship in a way that easily allows this though, now. Admittedly,
> this is due to the sheer *amount* of stuff involved in just maintaining
> single versions of things, and how much that would jump if we started
> having multiple versions available all the time.

To be clear, I am not suggesting multiple versions.  The suggestion is
that the old version of mesa overrides the new version and the tests
(and users) get it.

Pretend like we bumped the Epoch.

In this model where version numbers are merely descriptive, other things
would have to change to use the "build serial" and not the ENVR, since
the ENVR is now merely descriptive.

For example, from systemd.spec:

Obsoletes:      upstart < 1.2-7

The 1.2-7 is an ENVR, obviously.  But if you think about it, the
relationship of systemd and upstart here has *nothing* to do with the
upstream version of 1.2, nor the fact that it was the 7th build.

That 1.2-7 is capturing a *point in time* in Fedora (the combination of
packages of systemd and upstart), and a point in time is exactly what a
build serial is.