Issue creating systemd service files

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Wed Mar 6 03:48:04 UTC 2013

We are attempting to create systemd files for an ssh port monitoring
process. When we enable and attempt to start the service we get multiple
executions of the daemon and systemctl does not return until we do a
control-c. The init script and our attempt at replacement:

#!/bin/bash
#
# chkconfig: - 56 24
#
# sshdfilter	Start up the SSH server daemon filter
#
#              over who can log in and if probed add firewall rules
#              to block probing sites.
#
# processname: sshdfilter
# config:  /etc/sshdfilterrc
# pidfile: /var/run/sshdfilter.pid
# pipe:    /var/run/sshdfilter.fifo

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: sshdfilter
# Required-Start: $local_fs $network $rsyslog
# Required-Stop: $local_fs $rsyslog
# Should-Start: $rsyslog
# Should-Stop: $network $rsyslog
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Start up the SSH filter server daemon
#		     This service starts up the SSH filter server daemon.
### END INIT INFO

# source function library
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

# pull in sysconfig settings
[ -f /etc/sysconfig/sshdfilter ] && . /etc/sysconfig/sshdfilter
# make fifo if it does not exist
[ -p /var/run/sshdfilter.fifo ] || mkfifo /var/run/sshdfilter.fifo

RETVAL=0
prog="sshdfilter"
lockfile=/var/lock/subsys/$prog

# Some functions to make the below more readable
SSHDF=/usr/sbin/sshdfilter
PID_FILE=/var/run/sshdfilter.SSHD.pid

runlevel=$(set -- $(runlevel); eval "echo \$$#" )

start()
{
	[ -x $SSHDF ] || exit 5
	[ -f /etc/sshdfilterrc ] || exit 6

	echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
	$SSHDF $OPTIONS && success || failure
	RETVAL=$?
	[ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch $lockfile
	echo
	return $RETVAL
}

stop()
{
	echo -n $"Stopping $prog: "
	if [ -n "`pidfileofproc $SSHDF`" ] ; then
	    killproc $SSHDF
	else
	    failure $"Stopping $prog"
	fi
	RETVAL=$?
	# if we are in halt or reboot runlevel kill all running sessions
	# so the TCP connections are closed cleanly
	if [ "x$runlevel" = x0 -o "x$runlevel" = x6 ] ; then
	    trap '' TERM
	    killall $prog 2>/dev/null
	    trap TERM
	fi
	[ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f $lockfile
	echo
}

restart() {
	stop
	start
}

rh_status() {
	status -p $PID_FILE sshdfilter-daemon
}

rh_status_q() {
	rh_status >/dev/null 2>&1
}

case "$1" in
	start)
		rh_status_q && exit 0
		start
		;;
	stop)
		if ! rh_status_q; then
			rm -f $lockfile
			exit 0
		fi
		stop
		;;
	restart)
		restart
		;;
	status)
		rh_status
		RETVAL=$?
		if [ $RETVAL -eq 3 -a -f $lockfile ] ; then
			RETVAL=2
		fi
		;;
	*)
		echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
		RETVAL=2
esac
exit $RETVAL

============ sshdfilter.service ===================

[Unit]
Description=sshdfilter Daemon
Documentation=file://usr/share/doc/sshdfilter-1.5.7/INSTALL.Fedora
DefaultDependencies=no

[Service]
Type=forking
PIDFile=/var/run/sshdfilter.SSHD.pid
ExecStart=/sbin/sshdfilter
NotifyAccess=all

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

[Unit]
Description=sshdfilter Named Pipe
Documentation=file:///usr/share/doc/sshdfilter-1.5.7/INSTALL.Fedora
DefaultDependencies=no
After=syslog.target

[Socket]
ListenFIFO=/var/run/sshdfilter.fifo