RFC: Fedora revamp proposal

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Mar 7 03:03:27 UTC 2013

On 04/03/13 10:18 AM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> This is a proposal of changes to the way future Fedora cycles should
> work and integrate changes.

So just a couple of notes on the proposal:

It's phrased in very technical terms here - probably a wise choice - but
I think it's worth noting one of the angles we took in discussing it in
person at FUDCon is that it has the potential to contribute to the more
general idea of making Fedora more flexible in terms of what we can
build and release. It has the effect of giving us a defined 'core' of
functionality on top of which we could build various things. It would
only be one piece of a larger puzzle here - things like better image
building tools and Formulas are part of the same puzzle - but it's an
element I was quite interested in.

Also, I recall the in-person discussions making it clearer that this
plan is pretty strongly dependent on automated testing. This has been
discussed somewhat in the follow-ups, but to make sure it's very clear,
my reading of the proposal is that it would require substantially more
sophisticated and reliable tests than we currently have in AutoQA, and
we'd need development resources - either RH paid, or volunteer - to
build AutoQA up to the point where it could support this plan without
causing unnecessary disruption.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey