[ACTION REQUIRED] Retiring packages for Fedora 19 - March 4 update

Johannes Lips johannes.lips at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 06:39:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 4:15 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 06/03/13 04:39 AM, Dan Mashal wrote:
>
>  Took libindicator too. Is this deprecated upstream?
>>

> No, there are commits right up to late Feb in launchpad. But then I don't
> immediately see that you'd want it for MATE purposes (or really any other
> Fedora purposes); it's a Unity thing. I packaged and used to own it for my
> aborted plan to try and package Unity, and it's orphaned because I don't
> want it any more. I don't think it has any dependencies in Fedora, and I
> think it's pretty useless if you're not running Unity.

Then why not just retire it properly? I mean of course someone could step
up to package unity in fedora but then, how likely and realistic is that?
As a side note I was also wondering why so many "important" packages like
hicolor-icon-theme were orphaned and I can't recall any announcement on
-devel or -announce about that.
Johannes