dial-up comps group?

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 11:48:43 UTC 2013

On Mar 8, 2013 10:09 AM, "Dan Williams" <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-03-08 at 11:30 +0100, Michael Scherer wrote:

> > > In a word, yes.
> > > The digital divide between urban and rural still exists, which means
> > > that broadband availability is significantly less in rural areas,
> > > leaving dial-up the only financially feasible alternative for many
> > > households.
> > > This situation is exacerbated in physically large countries that lack
> > > strong national policy for high speed, high capacity Internet
> > > availability, so continued installation of what might be considered
> > > geriatric, if not actually primitive, technology continues to be
> > > necessary.
> >
> > What has efax or minicom anything to do with internet access ?
> >
> > And what is the state of the support of NetworkManager for 56k modem or
> > similar technology, I took a look at the source code, but nothing
> > conclusive ( ie, it detect that a modem is just a plain modem, and
> > that's all, no specific support on ModemManager side ).
>
> NetworkManager/ModemManager do not yet support plain 56k modems, though
> patches would be most welcome for simple cases.  I'd be happy to support
> this if we could, and I even have some 56k modems I can test basic stuff
> up to a dialtone with.  I can provide more direction if anyone is
> interested.
>
> > If someone could just list the technology, how people use them, this
> > could for sure help to prune down that list.
> >
> > For example, rp-pppoe is just broadband and there is some kind of
> > support in NetworkManager, so not sure this is still needed as a
> > separate package.
>
> PPPoE is mainly used in three cases:
>
> 1) externel ADSL<->ethernet bridge; your machine hooks up via Ethernet
> but still needs to authenticate and bring up the tunnel using PPPoE.
> NetworkManager supports this.
>
> 2) WiFi PPPoE: we've heard of some shared WiFi installations (in Africa
> I believe) where subscribers must use PPPoE over the WiFi link to access
> the internet, and then are charged while the PPPoE session is active.
> NetworkManager does not yet support this.
>
> 3) ATM-based ADSL with PPPoE: used with USB ADSL modems that provide an
> ATM interface to the system, like the 'ueagle' devices.  A "nas"
> interface is created on the ATM device and then PPPoE is run over the
> nas interface.  Similar to case #1, but in case #1 the external modems
> handles the "nas" stuff internally.  NetworkManager supports this and
> does not require linux-atm/br2684ctl to do so.
>
> We're likely going to add ISDN support for a near-future release of
> NetworkManager too; I'm not yet sure whether we need isdn4kutils for
> that or not.
>
> > I am pretty sure that linux-atm is likely unused by residential users in
> > 2013. ( ie, it kinda need some specific hardware to be used, my internet
> > access use it but that's the modem job to do it, I just interface it
> > with plain ethernet ). I may be wrong on that part however.

> [...]

Thanks Kevin for starting this discussion.

Please remove isdn4k completely from comps and retire/block it from Fedora
19. The maintainer is unresponsive, the service fails on boot, has
scriptlet errors on yum update, and quite frankly if anyone is still using
ISDN in 2013 I feel sorry for them.

Thanks,
Dan