[ACTION REQUIRED] Retiring packages for Fedora 19 - March 4 update

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Mar 11 02:16:12 UTC 2013

Adam Williamson wrote:
> No, there are commits right up to late Feb in launchpad. But then I
> don't immediately see that you'd want it for MATE purposes (or really
> any other Fedora purposes); it's a Unity thing. I packaged and used to
> own it for my aborted plan to try and package Unity, and it's orphaned
> because I don't want it any more. I don't think it has any dependencies
> in Fedora, and I think it's pretty useless if you're not running Unity.

libindicator is a dependency of libappindicator, which is very much useful
if you want a GTK+ app to integrate properly in KDE Plasma by supporting the
current system tray spec rather than the obsolete XEmbed-based one GTK+
itself implements. Sadly, the affected GTK+ apps in Fedora aren't using this
because their Fedora maintainers are also upstream GNOME maintainers who
hate the library.

        Kevin Kofler