RFC: Fedora revamp proposal

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Mar 11 02:49:38 UTC 2013

Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> If a new package doesn't break tests, it will tagged into rawhide
> immediately or overnight - just like now.  No extra work needed, no
> change in workflow.

Running the tests alone will slow down chain builds significantly, even if
the builds get tagged immediately after the tests pass.

> I don't think there is any obvious reason to exempt anaconda from this
> process.  Of course, we start with zero tests, and thus also zero
> requirements on anaconda; OTOH I expect somebody will propose to add a
> test that "minimal network install should always be working" very soon
> after the infrastructure is ready.  Such a test would obviously apply
> both to anaconda updates and to changes of everything else that may
> break anaconda.

It's quite funny that you're talking about enforcing requirements on
Anaconda AFTER FESCo gave Anaconda developers carte blanche to put a KNOWN
BROKEN Anaconda into pre-F18 Rawhide and leave it there even when it was
known not to get fixed in time for the release, causing release slippage.
Does this mean you admit that FESCo made a mistake? Or that FESCo as a whole
finally admits to having made a mistake? :-)

        Kevin Kofler