Unhelpful update descriptions

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 16:43:28 UTC 2013

"Jared K. Smith" <jsmith at fedoraproject.org> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Michael Catanzaro
> <mike.catanzaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps the update policy should have a guideline on the minimum amount
>> of information required in this description. E.g. "update to latest
>> upstream version" might be a perfectly acceptable description for Fedora
>> given the fast pace of updates, but I don't think users should ever be
>> seeing "no update information available" and especially not "here is
>> where you give an explanation of your update." (And I've seen this one
>> multiple times within the past couple of weeks.)

> I tend to agree here.  That being said, most of my package updates are
> something along the lines of "Update to upstream 2.5 release" -- would
> you find that descriptive enough, or still lacking in detail?

FWIW, I tend to say "update to upstream release XYZ" and give a URL for
the upstream release notes for that version.  This approach requires an
upstream that's well enough organized to have such a webpage for every
version, of course; but for my packages this seems to work fine.  The
upstream notes tend to have way more info than I could cram into an
update description, anyway.

			regards, tom lane