RFC: Fedora revamp proposal

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Mar 11 17:27:20 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 03:49:38 +0100
Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > If a new package doesn't break tests, it will tagged into rawhide
> > immediately or overnight - just like now.  No extra work needed, no
> > change in workflow.
>
> Running the tests alone will slow down chain builds significantly,
> even if the builds get tagged immediately after the tests pass.

Well, not sure it would. If builds were tagged into f19-pending and the
tests ran from that, then tagged into f19, the max delay would be when
a newrepo just started and it has to wait for the next newrepo to be
added. The min delay would be that it gets added and newrepo starts
right then.

So with current newrepo tasks about 13min per newrepo, so thats 13 or
26 min per build.

> > I don't think there is any obvious reason to exempt anaconda from
> > this process.  Of course, we start with zero tests, and thus also
> > zero requirements on anaconda; OTOH I expect somebody will propose
> > to add a test that "minimal network install should always be
> > working" very soon after the infrastructure is ready.  Such a test
> > would obviously apply both to anaconda updates and to changes of
> > everything else that may break anaconda.
>
> It's quite funny that you're talking about enforcing requirements on
> Anaconda AFTER FESCo gave Anaconda developers carte blanche to put a
> KNOWN BROKEN Anaconda into pre-F18 Rawhide and leave it there even
> when it was known not to get fixed in time for the release, causing
> release slippage. Does this mean you admit that FESCo made a mistake?
> Or that FESCo as a whole finally admits to having made a mistake? :-)

<eye-roll>

Hasn't this been discussed to death? We could have taken the hit in f18
and landed the new anaconda, or we could have reverted and taken the
hit in f19 to land the new anaconda, etc. It had to be done, sooner is
better than latter.

kevin