Unhelpful update descriptions

John.Florian at dart.biz John.Florian at dart.biz
Mon Mar 11 17:49:07 UTC 2013

> From: Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com>

I've often wanted to see better descriptions too.  When in admin mode, it
would be nice to be able to only have to 'rpm -q --changelog foo' to get
what I need.  Links to upstream changelogs would be very acceptable.

You've made an excellent point here why these are often rather vague. It's
very easy to forget the Fedora is merely packaging upstream and is not
always upstream.

It does seem that there's been a trend forming lately where the rpm's
changelog is covering only what's happened as far as the packaging itself
goes and less about the software being packaged.  Maybe that's all the rpm
changelog should ever be?  Less useful for what I need, yes, but also more
truthful by not providing a false impression.
--
John Florian