MySQL-libs conflicts with mariadb-libs-5.5.29-7.fc19.x86_64

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 18:20:52 UTC 2013

Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com> writes:
> On 03/11/2013 12:30 AM, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> alekcejk at googlemail.com wrote:
>> 2.  Should the "best practice" be to use
>> Requires: mariadb, BuildRequires: mariadb-devel
>> instead of
>> Requires: mysql, BuildRequires: mysql-devel
>> now?

> mysql and mysql-devel should be still OK, since only mariadb packages
> currently provide these symbols (they became only virtual names).

Yeah, I think we will consider "mysql" and "mysql-devel" to be virtual
Provides now.  Generally, dependent packages should still use those for
BuildRequires, unless there is some specific reason why you want to
build against one particular MySQL clone.

Also, if possible it's best not to use "Requires: mysql" at all, but
just let the automatic dependency on libmysqlclient.so do the job.
I realize this doesn't work for packages without such a dependency,
of course.

			regards, tom lane