RFC: Fedora revamp proposal

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Mar 11 19:09:30 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 19:55:39 +0100
Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Well, not sure it would. If builds were tagged into f19-pending and
> > the tests ran from that, then tagged into f19, the max delay would
> > be when a newrepo just started and it has to wait for the next
> > newrepo to be added. The min delay would be that it gets added and
> > newrepo starts right then.
> >
> > So with current newrepo tasks about 13min per newrepo, so thats 13
> > or 26 min per build.
>
> + the time it takes to run the tests themselves! The more tests you
> add, the longer they will take.

Only with a 13 minute granularity. Ie, if they take less than 13
minutes, it's only going to take 26 min to land. They would have to
take 14-26 min to miss the next one, etc.

> > Hasn't this been discussed to death? We could have taken the hit in
> > f18 and landed the new anaconda, or we could have reverted and
> > taken the hit in f19 to land the new anaconda, etc. It had to be
> > done, sooner is better than latter.
>
> How is sooner better? It led to a release slippage by months (!) and
> the installer that was released is still missing features (not only
> the intentionally dropped ones, which are another issue entirely). It
> would have been better to punt the new Anaconda to F19 or even F20,

Why? if we reverted no work would have gone on on the new codebase, all
work would have happened to bandaid the old codebase into working.

So, we would have been in the exact same place for f19 or f20 or
whatever. This way it's done and we can move forward with a more sane
code base and get it fixed up.

> if it had to be done at all.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/NewInstaller
http://ohjeezlinux.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/anaconda-retrospective/