Improving the Fedora boot experience

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Mar 11 21:00:54 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11.03.13 16:20, seth vidal (skvidal at fedoraproject.org) wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 21:07:32 +0100
> Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> >
> > I don't think we should generate any message. Nothing at all. My BIOS
> > doesn't print a single line, and neither does the kernel if "quiet" is
> > used (which is the default). I really don't see why Plymouth or the
> > boot loader should print any more -- unless a real problem happens,
> > or the user explicitly asked for more, or the boot takes very long.
> >
> > Entering the boot loader is something that is a debugging feature, a
> > tool for professionals. It shouldn't be too hard to expect from them
> > to remember something as simple as maybe "press shift or Space or
> > Esc" to get the boot menu or more verbose output. I mean, honestly,
> > that's probably what most people would try automatically anyway if
> > they want feedback from the machine.
>
> I'm mostly concerned with making new professionals.

Well, where do you get them from? Here's a hint: the Unix market is now
all ours, so you can only get them from Windows. And on Windows 8 they
don't have any pointless sleeps in the boot, and if you want a boot
menu, you have to press something.

We can even use the same key as windows does, if that helps you...

> If the bioses and systems years ago had been opaque we wouldn't have
> gotten this far.

Which is nonsense. Also modern EFI systems work the same way. I mean,
they are even more drastic in many cases, and don't initialize USB kbds
at all anymore, so that you have to go through the OS to get back into
boot menu.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.