Improving the Fedora boot experience

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 11 21:13:07 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 17:05:31 -0400
Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hi Seth,
>
> On 03/11/2013 04:20 PM, seth vidal wrote:
> > I'm mostly concerned with making new professionals.
> >
> > We have to make the secret information discoverable if we want
> > people to poke and prod around.
> >
> > If the bioses and systems years ago had been opaque we wouldn't have
> > gotten this far.
>
> How do you feel about Ryan's suggestion to make grub appear on any key
> press (instead of having it mapped to any one specific key?)

My initial reaction is this:

if I see a "press any key to see what's happening right now" - then I
know what pressing a key will achieve.

if I don't see anything like that - then I may be in for a
bit of a scare.

I want to encourage kids, teenagers, etc to explore the OS. We need
them to be involved in CREATING and LEARNING. So I don't want to scare
any of them off.

Is one line of text really that significant of a problem to present?

-sv