Improving the Fedora boot experience

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Mon Mar 11 21:14:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 09:09:46PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> We are working on this in the systemd context. We will provide a tiny
> mechanism, similar to localed/timedated/hostnamed that can be used by
> desktop UIs to choose "boot into firmware", and "boot into other OS"
> features, which can then be exposed on the shutdown button in the UI, or
> in some configuration applet thingy or wherever the desktop UI wants to
> put it.

Would the systemd feature also allow to for example boot the default
kernel but allow to display a menu in parallel that can be used to boot
a different kernel by reconfiguring the boot loader and initiating a
reboot? Then it is possible to get both, nearly zero boot delay and a
boot menu.

Regards
Till