New cfitsio (3.330) in rawhide

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 21:28:36 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 15:01:12 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:

> Another option which I employ with the opencollada library is to use
> arbitrary soversioning. Upstream not only doesn't use library versions
> but doesn't use ANY versioning.
>
> I started at 0.1 or something like that and when I build a new package
> I check compatibility with abi-compliance-checker. If it's not found
> to be compatible, I bump the soversion macro in the spec file before
> doing an official build.

Sure, that's something that can help avoiding unnecessary rebuilds.

However, elsewhere in this thread, Sergio has mentioned that cfitsio
contains a run-time check to enforce that an application was built with
exactly the same headers as the library itself. Indeed it does that when
opening files.

$ grep CFITSIO_VERSION * -R
cfileio.c:    if (version != CFITSIO_VERSION)
cfileio.c:	printf("   Version used to build the CFITSIO library   = %f\n",CFITSIO_VERSION);
fitsio.h:#define CFITSIO_VERSION 3.33
longnam.h:#define fits_open_file(A, B, C, D)
ffopentest( CFITSIO_VERSION, A, B, C, D)