Improving the Fedora boot experience

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 11 21:29:59 UTC 2013

On 03/11/2013 05:24 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Right, because had booting simply worked, instead of a** r8H#@Ig me every 10 minutes, I'd never have become curious about it.

Do you remember the days when bootup was so slow that you would sit
there for 3-5 minutes watching the ram count up?

The old family computer (IBM XT) had 640 KB of ram. It would pretty much
count up the RAM by powers of two on startup. I watched that start-up so
many times during my childhood it later on became a distinct advantage
in math class to have the powers of two memorized up that high :)

As educational as that was, I do very much enjoy not having to wait
quite so long :) Especially since my computer has 8 GB of RAM now.

~m