Improving the Fedora boot experience

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Mon Mar 11 21:30:13 UTC 2013

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 11.03.13 21:20, Björn Persson (bjorn at rombobjörn.se) wrote:
>
> > Peter Robinson wrote:
> > > It use to only be displayed if there was more than one OS configured
> > > or if the CTRL was held down. Having to press a particular key means
> > > you have to get it at the second or two where grub isn't displayed.
> > > The Ctrl option is quite nice as you can do it before the BIOS
> > > disappears.
> >
> > But how are users supposed to discover it?
>
> By hooking this up to keys people would natrually try, such as shift,
> space, enter, escape, or whatever windows does for their boot menu stuff.

I would probably pound frantically on the keyboard trying to hit the
right key during some unknown, short interval. If there were no
interval at all and the right solution were to be holding a key at the
right moment, then I'd probably have about a 50% chance of not pressing
any key at that moment.

And after I happened to press the right key at the right moment I still
wouldn't know which of the keys I pressed was the right one, so I'd
have to pound frantically the next time too.

After a few iterations I'd also be cursing the idiots who designed such
an unfriendly user interface just because they didn't want any text on
the screen.

Björn Persson