Improving the Fedora boot experience

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Mar 11 21:44:55 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11.03.13 17:24, Máirín Duffy (duffy at fedoraproject.org) wrote:

> > Having multiple triggers for this sounds OK, but making all keys
> > triggers for this sounds suboptimal, since you might "buttdial" the boot
> > menu then, which sounds suboptimal.
>
> Lennart, what you're suggesting is if the user presses the appropriate
> F-key too early, they'd end up in the BIOS menu instead of the GRUB
> menu? Is that really that big of an issue - the type of users who'd
> want

The firmware setup is something hw specific, and usually something like
F12. But in our boot loader we could just pick any random key and show the boot
menu if we notice that key is pressed while we go through the boot
menu. That random key could be shift, or space or enter, or esc, or F8,
or Shift+F8, or whatever.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.