Improving the Fedora boot experience

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 21:56:11 UTC 2013

On 03/11/2013 09:33 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi Jóhann,
>
> These are great links, thanks!! So to summarize:
>
> On 03/11/2013 05:11 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> 1.
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/22/designing-for-pcs-that-boot-faster-than-ever-before.aspx
> The last case these guys go over is the one we care about. They
> consolidated all the options into a single 'boot options' menu. Their
> solution is instead of triggering the boot options menu during boot,
> that you click on a button in the desktop UI that reboots you into
> 'advanced startup' mode which shows the boot menu by default.

Sounds like the most elegant solution and should be used as a
fallback/rescue mode encase something comes up for desktops.

Basically do what Lennart has been suggesting along with borrowing from
OS X to play an sound ( startup tone ) when you should press a ( startup
) key but have very limited key combo, if anything other then a single
keypress to get you to that "advanced startup" mode/target.

>> 2. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1533
> They appear to have an entire menagerie of keys you can press during
> startup to access various modes and controls. Seems very un-Apple like
> though to have so many different modes...

Here's a more complete list [1] kinda shows that to many key-combo
options at bootup aint that pretty:)

*1. http://face.centosprime.com/macosxw/startup-keys-boot-options/*