Improving the Fedora boot experience

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Mar 11 22:42:34 UTC 2013

On Mar 11, 2013, at 3:31 PM, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 15:24:28 -0600
> Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If the bioses and systems years ago had been opaque we wouldn't have
>>> gotten this far.
>>

>> Please elaborate on this, and define "this far". Apple has had fairly
>> opaque booting for ~28 years, so I'm curious how much farther they
>> need to go.
>

> 'this far' - developing an os. Developing an OS without
> closed/restricted/special access to professional documentation on the
> platform.

This is not elaboration as much as it is obfuscation. You appear to be suggesting that OSS wouldn't have happened had boot process details been hidden from users, by default, all these years. I don't see the relationship, at all, between OSS and personally experiencing the details of the boot process burning my retinas.

> Apple builds their own hw and can hire people to work on their problems
> with their infinite pile of money.

The decision to hide the details of the boot process from the user occurred in a garage over 30 years ago.

> We need to recruit people into being interested in linux.

The way to do that is to beat them over the head with GRUB by making the details of the boot process visible by default?

Please explain why I'm interested in linux file systems, despite never having seen any evidence of such file systems during the boot/startup process.

> Take a look at the age demographic of a lot of linux kernel/distribution
> maintenance folks. We're skewing to an older cohort. We need to make it
> possible for others to be involved.

Because the only way for people to be involved is if they actually see everything on every boot? I don't even understand what you're talking bout anymore, it's become incoherent.

Chris Murphy