twinkle: Intent to retire

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 12 01:03:16 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> Has Fedora *ever* had a functional soft-phone?  I ask this because I
> have tried many, and none of them *ever* worked -- in the usual sense
> that one would expect a phone to work, ie. not hanging or crashing or
> dropping calls or having massive opaque configurations.

I've successfully used Twinkle for the last three or four years,
despite its bitrot and lack of updates from upstream.  I *once* had
Ekiga working, but it gave me so many problems a few years ago that I
had given up on it.  Sounds like it's time to get it working again, or
try to get some of the next generation open-source softphones
compiling for Fedora and then packaged.

> I'm now using a Polycom IP phone and it's great.  Just works.  Best £0
> I ever spent (Red Hat bought it for me).

I have a whole zoo of hardware IP phones (and am willing to donate
phones to a good home!) too, but I spend enough time on the road that
a softphone is nice to have as well.

--
Jared Smith