Unhelpful update descriptions

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 01:20:20 UTC 2013

On 11/03/13 08:41 AM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> Since switching to Fedora I've been noticing most Fedora stable updates
> are released with a short, helpful description of the update, possibly
> including a list of bugs fixed, just like in other major distros. But
> unlike other major distros, other updates have less helpful
> descriptions:
>
> * "Update to latest upstream version"
> * "No update information available"
> * "Here is where you give an explanation of your update. Here is where
> you give an explanation of your update."
>
> Perhaps the update policy should have a guideline on the minimum amount
> of information required in this description. E.g. "update to latest
> upstream version" might be a perfectly acceptable description for Fedora
> given the fast pace of updates, but I don't think users should ever be
> seeing "no update information available" and especially not "here is
> where you give an explanation of your update." (And I've seen this one
> multiple times within the past couple of weeks.)
>
> I'm not suggesting essays, but at least a unique sentence fragment would
> be good for each update. Please? :-)

The discussion seems to have branched out a bit, but going back to
Michael's original mail, he's clearly onto something. It should not be
too hard for Bodhi to reject:

* Entirely empty update descriptions
* An update description which is simply the placeholder text

and I can't see any reason why we shouldn't just do that. Luke, could we
make it so?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey