Unhelpful update descriptions

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 01:57:19 UTC 2013

Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> writes:
> On 11/03/13 06:28 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> That's not readily apparent in the Updates Policy ...

> Ah, you're right, I really should have checked it before posting (yet
> again). I was thinking that it discouraged *all* version updates, not
> just "major" ones. I personally would still be hesitant to update a
> package to a new upstream version if I didn't know what the heck was in
> it, but that is indeed apparently just a personal preference and not a
> policy :)

I think there's no substitute for knowing your upstream --- and
therefore, not a whole lot of scope for a one-size-fits-all distro-wide
policy.

In my case, I work mostly with upstreams that are pretty conservative
about what they fix in minor releases, and I would think it
irresponsible *not* to push out their minor updates into released
Fedora branches.  Other upstreams are a lot different though.

I'm for leaving this to the package maintainer's discretion.  Now,
there's no harm in having the guidelines try to explain how to exercise
that discretion.  Maybe the existing text could use refinement.  It
doesn't seem that bad as it stands, though.

			regards, tom lane