twinkle: Intent to retire

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 08:41:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Jan Kratochvil
<jan.kratochvil at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 02:03:16 +0100, Jared K. Smith wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > Has Fedora *ever* had a functional soft-phone?  I ask this because I
>> > have tried many, and none of them *ever* worked
> [...]
>> I've successfully used Twinkle for the last three or four years,
>
> Using SIP since 2005 as mostly the only phone and Twinkle was always the only
> one that worked, despite I tried many.  I never wanted to use Twinkle due to
> its ugly GUI but Twinkle just always worked.
>

>> I *once* had Ekiga working, but it gave me so many problems a few years ago
>> that I had given up on it.
>
> Exactly.  I even bugreported multiple SIP incompatibilities and got them fixed
> in opal but it still was not enough for practical use.  Maybe it has changed.

Ekiga v4 seems to have improved a number of the problems and as the
Fedora maintainer I've been working closely with upstream since it's
release to close out any remaining issues, 4.0.1 appears to be a
reasonable bugfix release but if you do have issues please report a
bug and we'll work with upstream to get them fixed. Upstream seems to
have been reinvigorated of late.

Peter