Improving the Fedora boot experience

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 12:07:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 11.03.13 13:08, Chris Murphy (lists at colorremedies.com) wrote:
>
>> On Mar 11, 2013, at 11:31 AM, Björn Persson <bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se> wrote:
>> > Or nothing at all displayed unless the user happens to know to press some key at the
>> > right moment?
>>
>> A multiboot system needs at least a message to inform the user how to
>> get to the boot manager (the GRUB menu). A Fedora only system probably
>> should entirely suppress the menu or notice how to get to it.
>
> Somebody who is capable of installing multiple operating systems on one
> machine should easily be savvy enough to remember that pressing
> shift/esc/space/f2/whatever gets him the boot menu.
>
> If you installed multiple OSes and noticed that the boot menu is gone,
> wouldn't pressing these keys be your natural reaction anyway?
>
> Lennart

I've been a hardware evaluator. Absolutely not, because different
hardware components have different, and fundamentally unpredictable,
configuration keys. Hiding the particular configuration key for the
bootloader, that may be only work for a few seconds in a lengthy boot
process on, say, an HP high end controller with several disk
controller cards, is wasting the system engineer's time with repeated
reboots where *she can't tell when to push the escape button without
triggering the wrong configuration tool*.

I would reject out of hand tools that did this.