Improving the Fedora boot experience

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Mar 12 12:35:22 UTC 2013

Le Mar 12 mars 2013 09:55, drago01 a écrit :
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:18:33 -0500
>> Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:

>>> My OLPC does not present any boot menu or prompt.
>>

>> That's not an argument for why we should not present one. It is an
>> argument for why they should be.
>
> Sorry but that's nonsense. Pretty much all other operating systems do
> not display the boot loader by default and you see this as a reason
> for showing it?

Pretty much all other operating systems come preloaded on hardware
certified to run under this specific OS version, and pretty much all other
operating systems do not experiment with the boot software stack every
year. Before hiding safety measures for æsthetics' sake you need to be
stable and safe long enough for users to trust you. (hint: long enough is
not measured in months)

--
Nicolas Mailhot