Self introduction

Palle Ravn ravnzon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 13:37:08 UTC 2013

Hi all,

This is a personal introduction, as I'm hoping to join the package team.
The following is a short story of my first encounter with Fedora.

I started using Linux as a part of my studies, almost five years ago, and
at that time the terminal seemed an odd way of controlling
things. Naturally that has changed over time, and I often miss
the functionality when using other systems.

I started using Arch Linux for roughly 4 years, though there are many
positive things about the distribution, we come to that in a while, I just
got tired of things breaking after an update, and the endless compilation
time of openAFS after each kernel update. All I ever needed is a simple
desktop with decent default settings. I don't really need to choose my own
desktop manager and desktop during installation, not to mention the right
wireless drivers for my PC, that's why I started looking for something
else. After reading a article reviewing the top 10 distros at the time, I
tried Fedora 16 as the first and only one. Previously I had always used
KDE, so it was something new with both Fedora, running systemd which I had
never seen before, and Gnome. Except for the Alt + Mouse for shutdown, I
had nothing to complain about, so I stuck with Fedora.

There are just that one thing I keep missing, and that is the Arch User
Repository (AUR), as I never found an open source project which I couldn't
find there and install within a short time. I know a repository like that
relies on me as the user, to read and validate that the build is in order,
which I'm guessing doesn't go well with the Fedora philosophy. That is why
I want to join the package team, as I see it, a distribution is more usable
the wider the range of packages in the package system. I currently have two
packages up for review, where I need a sponsor. I'm planning to make more
packages of those requested by the Fedora Design Team and the sqlite
browser<http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/>,
when hopefully I get a sponsor.

Regards
Palle Ravn aka. paller