Unhelpful update descriptions

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Mar 12 14:58:00 UTC 2013

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 07:29:03 -0700
Dan Mashal <dan.mashal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Dan Mashal <dan.mashal at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 2:39 AM, Jaroslav Reznik
> > <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:

...snip...

> >> Yep, I think the link, when available, is very useful. What I try
> >> is to pick up a few most important changes directly affecting
> >> Fedora and then I link full Changelog.
> >>
> >> So maybe idea - what about a dedicated field in Bodhi for
> >> upstream's Changelog and then present it for users in PackageKit
> >> in a some nicer way - real, clickable link... Not sure it will be
> >> possible in our Packaging GUIs and also we try to hide updates as
> >> much as possible from our users...

...snip...

I'm not sure either, but it could be nice to see. I'd guess it would
have to be a per update optional field, since some upstreams do a
different url per release. I don't know how or if PackageKit could
display it. Perhaps file some RFEs?

> > Have bodhi grab it from the RPM change log spec file. Don't make
> > packager do more work than they already have to.

Grab what? It doesn't know what part of things is the upstream
changelog link (if any).

> In fact Koji does this and is a place where I go to get more info and
> does this already. You can even get compilation logs! ;)

I suspect many consumers of our updates don't care about compile logs.
They would rather see what many projects put in their NEWS file.
(ie, changes they might notice or care about).

> Bodhi never seemed like a tool to be informative. Just push out
> updates.

I'm not sure I agree. ;)

kevin