tomcat6 unresponsive maintainer & deprecation

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 15:28:08 UTC 2013

Quoting Kevin Fenzi (2013-03-12 15:53:56)
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:49:22 +0100
> Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Tomcat6 package in Fedora is old, has several problematic bugs
> > (including 4 security) and most importantly there's a replacement:
> > tomcat-7.x
> >
> > I believe it is in our (developers as well as users) best interest to
> > get rid of it. I have sent similar email to java-devel on February
> > 26th[1], created another tomcat6 bugreport a week ago[2] but I wasn't
> > successful in reaching David Knox (primary maintainer).
> >
> > Note that we already had a bugreport to migrate packages to
> > tomcat-7[3] and we almost succeeded, but then new packages started
> > creeping in with dependency on tomcat6. We need to get rid of it ASAP
> > or we'll be fighting neverending battle. Even as
> > comaintainer/provenpackager I cannot deprecate package that I do not
> > own.
> >
> > I consider this point 4 of unresponsive maintainer process[4].
> > However due to security issues, and package being effectively dead I
> > wouldn't mind speeding up the process. I might try to bring this up
> > with FESCO, but process doesn't seem to include any wiggle room there.
>
> Feel free to file a fesco ticket and explain whats going on.
Thanks, filed https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1094

I believe the emails/bugzilla provides enough context but I'll also try to attend
the FESCO meeting to answer any questions.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
Software Engineer - Developer Experience

PGP: 7B087241