Improving the Fedora boot experience

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Tue Mar 12 15:51:14 UTC 2013

On Mar 12, 2013 9:12 AM, "Peter Jones" <pjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> On UEFI systems, which is most new desktops:
>
> 1) we don't need any grub UI whatsoever
> 2) we don't need the 5 second timeout
> 3) we don't need to indicate to the firmware that we need USB probed
> unless it's the device we're booting from.
>

> --
>         Peter
> --

This seems like a sane default to me, accommodating both end users that
don't care about GRUB or that don't dual boot, and 'power' users that can
learn to hold down a key.

For the use cases where it doesn't work, what about dropping a bootloader
config spoke into anaconda, or revealing the appropriate features in
kickstart options? Perhaps probing to test for dual boot to determine if a
brief timeout should be the default?

--Pete