Improving the Fedora boot experience

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Mar 12 16:32:34 UTC 2013

On Mar 12, 2013, at 6:02 AM, Jiří Eischmann <eischmann at redhat.com> wrote:

>  New kernels bring a lot of
> regressions and we don't have enough test coverage to avoid them. The
> general solution to those problems is to go back to the last working
> kernel version. But by making it less obvious we make these frequent
> problems more difficult to solve.

This is completely specious. A user who considers falling back to an older kernel as a troubleshooting step also knows how this selection is made and where to go look for it. That they don't know the key to press is beside the point, they know they need to find it. Their trouble is brief.

There is zero information in the GRUB menu that conveys kernel fallback as a troubleshooting method. It's completely non-obvious until you learn it (from a source other than the GRUB menu).

Chris Murphy